Topical antibiotics have proven to be effective in treating PDD and DD but there are issues:
· There is an increased risk of antibiotic residues showing up in milk.
· There is a larger concern over developing antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.
· There is a concern of developing antibiotics residues in the soil.
· Antibiotics used in footbaths are very costly and efficacy diminishes quickly as the soil load increases.
· Using antibiotics is an extra label use and should be administered under the supervision of your veterinarian.
The common antibiotics direct applied with a wrap are:
· 0.1% tetracycline or oxy-tetracycline.
· 0.01 % Lincomycin Solution.